Sunday 6 May 2012

My Maiden Titanic Cake-Making Voyage!

Hello all, and once again thank you so much for the lovely comments I have received on my last post, they are as usual very much appreciated!

Well, you may think I'm mad, I'm sure my lovely husband thinks I am, and perhaps he is right! But I have pledged to make a Titanic Cake for Mia's birthday next weekend! Great, you might say, if I were a professional, or in fact had ever made anything more than a jam sponge..but, truth be told, I haven't!! Now of course I have explained to Mia that it might be a complete flop, so not to get her hopes up, but that I will certainly "have a go"!

I've decided to share the process with you on my blog, so, by next weekend I will either be proudly uploading a finished "Titanic" cake, a spectacular replica of the model we have at home in the glass case..or, perhaps, just Titanic as it is now...a broken mess under the sea! Only time will tell!

Now, I will say that I haven't gone in to this lightly, I have actually done a lot of research and planned exactly how my cake will look, and what I will use. So, off to Tescos I went this morning, and filled my basket with lots of lovely cake-making goodies.

I started off with great enthusiasm this afternoon, using my late Nan's TG Green mixing bowl - the starting point of many family birthday cakes in the last 60 odd years!;


And my 1960's flour & sugar shakers,a recent charity shop find;


And the result was; two halfs to form the base of my Titanic cake! They did need a lot longer in the oven than the receipe stated, and one of them sunk in the middle (no pun intended!) but overall I am pleased so far! Ok, at the moment they are simply two loaf cakes, but they will evolve tomorrow!


For now, they are wrapped up and ready for the marzipan and icing tomorrow - again, something which I have NEVER done in my life...wish me luck! :)

I hope you're all having a lovely Bank Holiday weekend, I REALLY enjoyed the Antiques Fair yesterday, and came home with some lovely goodies. I will post on this tomorrow.

Marina xx

8 comments:

  1. Oh, Marina, you are a brave soul. But you know what, Mia will love it and think it's beautiful even if you don't. Even if she doesn't, she will always remember it, so you have given her the best gift, a childhood memory..Happy Sunday and Good Luck..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant wait to see it Marina! I am sure if will be fabulous hon :-) The cake looks really good already. I did something similar recently (spiderman cake) and was having kittens about it, but it turned out fine. I cant wait to see yours - it will be wonderful! I LOVE your retro flour and sugar shakers - too cool. Have fun creating hon. Becks xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to seeing the finished cake and your antique fair buys :)
    I love the retro flour and sugar shakers, they are fab!
    Magie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see the results...and your goodies too!Keep an eye out as I'm going to do a giveaway soon to celebrate reaching 300 followers.
    Have a lovely Monday! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, thank you for visiting my blog and leaving such a lovely comment. Good luck with your cake project - I look forward to seeing the next stage. I used to love going in the T G Green factory shop near Swadlincote but it is all closed down now:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that really is a challenge! Good luck and can't wait to see the end result.
    Love the flour and sugar shakers.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your vintage kitchen goodies and the cake will be fine, I'm sure. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done you, Its a challenge but I am sure you can do it! ( I also have my grans T G Greens Bowl )happy baking Marina.
    Thea x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely messages! They really do brighten up my day xx